Thursday, September 25, 2008

Documentation Manual for Writing SOAP Notes in Occupational Therapy

The entire class is trudging through this book, probably putting more effort to comprehend it than is needed. The concept is easy.

S - subjective
O - objective
A - assessment
P - plan

I found I can write an entire paragraph in abbreviations, thanks to this book. The difficulty of SOAP notes, goals, and problem lists is knowing what to document. I frustrate myself with a level of redundancy in everything I write. Tack on the environment in which this documentation is written (mental health, peds, phys dys) and the style changes dramatically. Mental health documentation takes on paragraphs. Phys dys should be concise and to-the-point, lots of abbreviations, and do try to eliminate dregs like "a", "an", and "the". Who knows what peds is like; I won't have a fieldwork in that specialization.

I accidently (through every fault of my own) bought 2 copies of this book. Each page is perforated to make it easier for you to lose, so I'm thankful for my 2 copies--I lose things, rip things, drop things, forget things, and break things easily.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent Post,

I'm quite enjoying it while reading.
Thanks for sharing this information.

To get college degree from occupational therapy university is my aim