Friday, August 1, 2008

fieldwork I

Fieldwork I is coming quickly. I'm doing mental health first then hand therapy and finally phys dys. NYU requires mental health and phys dys for fieldwork. It seemed to be a topic to debate when students discovered this. Most want to work in peds. The NYC Dept. of Education, according to students receiving the DOE scholarship, mandate students to have a fieldwork in peds before working in schools. I don't know, nor do I care because I'm not working for the Dept. of Education anymore. Years ago, I considered taking their scholarship when the contract was something like this: DOE pays for one school year, I work for them for 1.5 years. They, recently, bumped it up to 2 years. I can't give the DOE 4 years of my life just because they paid for 2 years of my education. I want to work with other experienced OTs. I want to be in an interdisciplinary setting that promotes growth and development. I want to be properly supervised!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch. As a recipient of the DOE scholarship, I have to admit that your post's acerbic tone got me right in my loan-free gut. Was the six extra months (1.5 yrs of employment per 1 year of school paid vs. 2 yrs of employment per 1 year of school paid) such a deal breaker for you? But, that's beside the point. As a future NYC school-based therapist, I think your notions about the quality of pediatric OTs in public schools are largely uninformed. I have had the privilege to meet and work with many dedicated and intelligent pediatric OTs in the school system, many of whom have received Phds from NYU. As you enter a profession which focuses primarily on being an agent of change, you might want to consider and appreciate the challenges that DOE OTs face every day. Maybe in a couple of years, while I am still in the process of giving my life away to ensuring that the students I work with have optimal academic and social experiences, you will have a chance to visit, hold your judgments, and allow for the growth and development you are so anticipating. And don't worry, I'll make sure that the teachers, social workers, psychologists, physical therapists,and speech therapists are around that day.

OTR said...

I've worked in 5 different high schools and have 4 years experience with the NYC DOE. I'm not at all putting down school OTs. I believe they face some of the greatest challenges of this field. I have a great amount of respect for the amazing work they do. And my very decision for becoming an OT was through my opportunities to observe school-based OTs directly.

1. My qualms are directed at the Department of Education itself, NOT THE WORKERS.

2. Entry-level graduates benefit most in an environment where they can rotate through specialties and gain experience in many specialty areas under the guidance and supervision of other OTs.

3. Four years of my life is a deal breaker.

4. Every school OT I've met received the DOE scholarship. Each one lasted 1-2 years before leaving the schools to work in a different setting for better supervision and the opportunity to collaborate with other OTs in different specialties.

Once again, I'm talking about professional development, not discouraging anyone from entering the school system.