Saturday, July 5, 2008

the road to the commencement of a comprehensive literature review

I've been stalling for a couple weeks. The deadline is July 16 (I want it done the day before), and I'm online blogging instead of reading journal articles. To help me get through the drudgeries of research, I thought it would be useful to write about my accomplishments:
  1. I skimmed through 2 books purported to help me with this project (a) Critical Evaluation of Research in Physical Rehabilitation by Helewa and (b) Health Sciences Literature Review Made Easy: The Matrix Method by Garrard
  2. I compiled a list of 15 journal articles that may or may not be helpful
  3. I'm taking advantage of current technology by using computer programs instead of writing out everything by hand. I particularly like Microsoft Office OneNote
  4. I'm taking frequent breaks to avoid overheating the ole thinking machine
  5. Lots and lots of coffee

You already know my topic, now for my articles:

  1. Bunnell, S. (1938). Opposition of the Thumb
  2. Close, R., & Kidd, C. (1969). The Functions of the Muscles of the Thumb, the Index, and Long Fingers
  3. Cooney, W., & Chao, E. (1977). Biomechanical analysis of static forces in the thumb during hand function
  4. Cooney, W., Lucca, M., Chao, E., & Linscheid, R. (1981). The kinesiology of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint
  5. Coonrad, R., & Goldner, L. (1968). A study of the pathological findings and treatment in soft-tissue injury of the thumb metacarpophalangeal joint
  6. Edgerton, M., Snyder, G. & Webb, W. (1965). Surgical treatment of congenital thumb deformities
  7. Ellis, B., & Bruton, A. (2002). A study to compare the reliability of composite finger flexion with goniometry for measurement of range of motion in the hand
  8. Haara, M., Heliovaara, M., Kroeger, H., et al. (2004). Osteoarthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb
  9. House, J., Gwathmey, F., & Fidler, M. (1981). A dynamic approach to the thumb-in palm deformity in cerebral palsy
  10. Jacobs, B., & Thompson, T. (1960). Opposition of the thumb and its restoration
  11. Jonsson, P., Johnsson, P., Hagberg, M., et al. (2007). Accuracy and feasibility of using an electrogoniometer for measuring simple thumb movements
  12. Kuo, L., Su, F., Chiu, H., & Yu, C. (2002). Feasibility of using a video-based motion analysis system for measuring thumb kinematics
  13. Li, Z., & Tang, J. (2007). Coordination of thumb joints during opposition
  14. Littler, J., & Cooley, S. (1963). Opposition of the thumb and its restoration by abductor digiti minimi quinti transfer
  15. McFarlane, R. (1962). Observations on the functional anatomy of the intrinsic muscles of the thumb

I feel I'm giving myself more work than I need to do. I can't tell you if any of these articles will help me. I must substantiate the existence of measuring thumb opposition and determining normal range. Literature is lacking. My mentor is trying to make headway into the subject for her Doctoral of Professional Studies at NYU. In the meantime, I'm kind of stuck.

No comments: