Tuesday, July 15, 2008

1st half of the master's project

Today or noon tomorrow, my partner and I will electronically submit the 1st half of our Master's project about measuring thumb opposition, normal ROM, and the reliability of the Hareau Thumb Opposition Goniometer (HTOG). Our mentor managed to contact Hareau for permission to let us copy her dissertation. I'm sitting on my bed with the manual lying open at my feet, yellow Post-Its sticking from the edges and notes in black ink at the margins. Makes me want to develop a tool myself and write all about it.

There isn't much we can report on the HTOG because our research study begins in the fall. We'll set up a little spot in the lobby of an NYU building where people will generously volunteer a bit of their time to have their thumb opposition measured. In the meantime, all I have on this goniometer is information provided by Hareau herself. It appears hopeful that a new tool may finally replace the error-prone ruler method.

No comments: